Modern Attire

Should parents of teenagers be telling their children how to dress and what to wear? Is it the responsibility of a mother of a teenage daughter to tell her just exactly how much cleavage she can expose publicly without crossing the limits of decency?


Nah! I don’t think so. Rather it should not come to that pass, where a growing up teenager needs to be told about the finesse, elan, and decencies of dressing.

We all know what cleavage is. But what was that I saw the other day in a cricket stadium?

That day it was a test match between India and Pakistan at Chinnaswamy stadium at Bangalore. I was in a stand on top of the pavilion. In the row right in front of me were seated a small group of bubbly young boys and girls probably in their late teens talking, chuckling and enjoying their time.

The cricket match was on and the whole stadium was alive, cheering and having fun. Suddenly there was a loud roar followed by lots of aahs and oohs. An Indian batsman had just got out. In walked the new batsman, Saurav Ganguly, the Indian captain. The crowd was already on its feet and burst into a huge roar and started cheering the Indian skipper. Just then my attention got distracted, as a young girl in the group in front of me happened to drop her popcorn packet she was eating. She bent forward to pick it up. I couldn’t help noticing her skimpy top, a thin cotton T-shirt, which I thought she probably might have borrowed from her younger middle school going, sister. As she bent, the top started to climb her back. The jeans along with her undergarment were yawning wide and making an effort to slide down. Not only a few popcorns had popped out of the packet but also several pairs of eyes too in the stand.

I took my sight away as Saurav Ganguly by then had reached the middle of the pitch and was preparing to take guard. The noise of the crowd subsided and people went back to their seats. As I also sat back a thought occurred to me. I thought of standing on top of my chair, raise both my hands in the air and yell at the top of my voice; “Cracks or Cleavages, I don’t care. But please don’t pass on to me a disgusting dress as modern attire, fashionable, trendy and the in-thing. I would rather beg to be termed as old fashioned, out-of-date and backward.”

My thought got interrupted as Saurav Ganguly got out LBW. He proved to be faster than the speed of thought. The crowd was back on its feet letting out a huge roar and screams of disappointment rent the air. The scream slowly started turning into boos. As the poor Ganguly started approaching the pavilion, the boos intensified and I also joined the crowd. It’s anybody’s guess what I was booing about.

Post a Comment

Subscribe through Email